Learning Support

Learning Support

Learning Support

What High Needs Support is available

Support is available to all students with or without an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

What is the Local Offer

From September 2014, every Local Authority will be required to publish information about services they expect to be available in their area for children and young people from birth to 25 who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND); and also services outside of the area which they expect children and young people from their area will use. This will be known as the ‘Local Offer’.

The Local Offer will put all the information about education, health and care services, leisure activities and support groups in one place.

Please note the college is now using the new terminology EHCP in place of the previously used Statements, LDA/139a, the 139a is no longer a legal document and all current statement’s will be converted into EHCP’s by April 1st 2018.

High Needs refers to a young person whose home local authority has assessed them as requiring high needs support and a commissioned place has been agreed with the college.

What support is available?

Universal – First Teaching

Targeted support

  • In class differentiation
  • Coaching tutor or key person support
  • Personalised timetable
  • iPad or Chrome Books
  • Referrals to CAMHS, counselling, careers services, health and wellbeing within or external to college
  • PEEPs
  • Risk assessments
  • Medical storage
  • Small groups
  • Assistive technology
  • Exam Access Arrangements
  • General in-class support
  • Independent time out of class
  • Peer mentoring
  • Read and write software
  • Overlays/ coloured paper, roaming profiles
  • Dictaphones, video recording equipment
  • Hearing loops
  • Radio aids
  • Pre and post teaching
  • Magnifiers
  • Adapted resources
  • Aids and adaptions (adjustable tables, chairs)