• Visual recording and communication
• Critical and contextual studies in art and design
• Materials, techniques and processes in art and design
• Contemporary fine art/textile practice
• Developing an art and design portfolio
• Curating an exhibition
Strengthen your creative skills through a variety of materials, techniques and processes.
The course is continually assessed with grades of Pass, Merit or Distinction being awarded in each unit of study. Students can therefore take control of how they are progressing on the course and start to ensure they gain the highest possible grades. A final grade which is the equivalent of three A Levels will be awarded upon successful completion of all necessary units.
The course runs at our Quarry Hill Campus in a range of art and digital studios.
If you are part of the new grading system for GCSE we would see a Grade 4 or above as the equivalent of a Grade C in this offer.
Students should have a minimum of five Cs at GCSE including English or maths. A serious interest in the subject is paramount and our interview process will entail you presenting your own portfolio of previous work.
Successful students have progressed to university to study specialist subjects such as:
- Fine Art - Painting & Sculpture
- Design for TV and Theatre
- Fashion Design
- Interior and Architectural Design
- Graphic Design
- Surface Pattern
- Illustration Textiles
- Ceramics & Glass
During the course you will be creating public exhibitions, working with artists, designers, gallerists and curators, selling your work, promoting yourself, visiting exhibitions, developing media campaigns, working with the public, getting to grips with the business of art, and gain an insight into what it is to be an artist, and an understanding of the art market.
Following the completion of your Level 3 course there is the opportunity to continue your study art and design all the way to BA (Hons) Level.
- The Foundation Degree & BA (Hons) in Art Enterprise at the University Centre develops the creative skills that you have gained on the Level 3 Course to a professional standard, whilst equipping you with the employability skills to help you to get ahead and become a successful creative. Art Enterprise has excellent links to the creative industries and you will be placed within a professional network right from the very beginning of the course.
- The Foundation Degree in Art Enterprise (Graphic and Illustration) develops your graphics and illustration techniques and visual communication whilst equipping you with the specific employability skills to help you to get ahead and become a successful graphic designer / illustrator. You will undertake a range of client briefs and personal design projects to communicate with an audience, developing your critical awareness and visual language.
- The Foundation Degree & BA (Hons) in Photography is delivered in the studios and darkrooms at the Park Lane Campus, as well as in the University Centre. The course is designed to enable you to find your own career trajectory in a range of photographic disciplines; be this documentary, fashion and portraiture, fine art or as a commercial photographer undertaking weddings and family portraits.
- The Foundation Degree & BA (Hons) in Computer Games is designed to allow students to build knowledge and experience to find their place in the world of computer game design. Working across a number of disciplines, students will experience the full range of job roles in the game industry and gain an understanding of how these roles work together to produce innovative, engaging games.