• The meat and poultry industry, including retail and manufacturing
• Health & Safety and food safety within food manufacturing
• Development of knife skills
• Practical butchery skills including boning, trimming, slicing and dicing for beef, lamb, pork and poultry
• Animal welfare, selection, procurement and farm to fork supply chain
You will be able to perfect skills within the meat industry, such as displaying products, product development. You will also gain skills in varying methods of butchery production and knowledge of artisan products.
You will be assessed at the end of your programme which will include a multi-choice test, a practical skills exam and a professional discussion.
The practical elements of this apprenticeship will be undertaken at your workplace. The study part of this apprenticeship will be carried out at Printworks Campus..
No formal qualifications are required however a strong interest in working as a butcher and a basic standard within English and maths is a must.
After successful achievement of this apprenticeship, you can progress onto our Level 3 Advanced Butchery Apprenticeship.
Whilst on this course you will have the opportunity to enter in competitions such as WorldSkills, Premier Young Butcher and various product competitions.