On completion of training, successful candidates will be able to understand the role of the first aider, including reference to, the importance of preventing cross infection,the need for recording incidents and actions and use available equipment.
Detailed elements of the course include:
- assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters).
Learners must undertake a practical assessment of their competence along
with a short open response knowledge assessment, where learners are
required to provide a short response to a prescribed series of questions.
This course is delivered at Enfield Centre or Technology Campus.
In line with guidance provided by the HSE, the qualification supports/approves work place emergency first aiders for a period
of 3 years, after which point learners will need to retake the course. In addition to this it is also recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
Following the completion of this qualification, learners may wish to undertake higher level first aid courses.
This one day course is available on various dates throughout the year:
- Tuesday, September 19th 2017
- Wednesday, October 25th 2017
- Tuesday, November 14th 2017
- Wednesday,December 6th 2017
- Monday, January 22nd 2018
- Wednesday, February 7th 2018
- Monday, March 12th 2018
- Wednesday, April 4th 2018
- Tuesday, May 22nd 2018
- Tuesday, June 5th 2018
- Wednesday, July 4th 2018